Landscape lighting, if done correctly, can completely change the look and feel of your home. It gets even better if the lights draw less power i.e., low voltage LED lights.
With the best low voltage landscape lighting, you can easily highlight key features, make your landscape safer at night and add some style to your home.
In this article, we are going to talk about the basics of landscape lights, show you some of the most popular light choices out there, and talk about some of the common mistakes most homeowners make when installing these lights.
The first step in installing landscape lighting is determining what kind of lights you are going to use. Since up and accent lights/outdoor solar spot lights are by far the most popular choice, we will only be focusing on that.
Top Pick (New)
LEONLITE LED Landscape Lighting
Why we choose it?
- ETL Listed landscape lighting
- Super durable
- 40,000hrs long lifespan
- Easy to Connect
- 60-month warranty
- 3 Best Landscape Lighting Comparison Table
- Top 8 Best Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Reviews
- 1. MEIKEE 7W LED Low Voltage Landscape Spotlights
- 2. ZUCKEO 5W LED Landscape Lights 12V 24V Garden Lights
- 3. ZUCKEO LED Landscape Lighting 6W RGB Remote Control LED
- 4. LED Landscape Lights Sunriver LED Pathway Lights
- 5. ALEDECO Outdoor LED Landscape Lights 12V 5W Low Voltage
- 6. Sunriver 6W LED Landscape Lights 12 Volts 24 Volts Low Voltage
- 7. Moonrays 95557 1-Watt Low Voltage LED Landscape Spot Light Fixture
- 8. SUNVIE 12W Low Voltage LED Landscape Lights
- Choosing The Best Low Voltage Landscape Lighting | A Definitive Buyer’s Guide
- Things To Avoid When Choosing Landscape Lighting
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
3 Best Landscape Lighting Comparison Table
A list of Top 8 Best low Voltage Landscape Lights:
BEST OVERALL: MEIKEE 7W LED Low Voltage Landscape Spotlights
BEST VALUE: LEONLITE LED Landscape Lighting
BEST FOR GARDEN: ZUCKEO 5W LED Landscape Lights 12V 24V Garden Lights
BEST LANDSCAPE WELL LIGHTS: Landscape Lights Sunriver LED Pathway Lights
BEST FOR YARD: Moonrays 95557 1-Watt Low Voltage LED Landscape SpotLight
BEST FOR PATHWAY: Sunriver 6W LED Landscape Lights Low Voltage Light
BEST RGB LANDSCAPE LIGHTS: ZUCKEO Landscape Lighting 10W RGB Remote Control LED
BEST FOR BACKYARD: SUNVIE 12W Low Voltage LED Landscape Lights
Top 8 Best Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Reviews
Here is a list of some of the best low voltage LED landscape lighting that will make your home look like a professional lighting company did all the lighting setup for you. By clicking on image you can read latest customer reviews.
1. MEIKEE 7W LED Low Voltage Landscape Spotlights
- IP66 rated waterproof LED lights
- Aluminum shade & hardened polycarbonate ground stakes
- The beam angle is 45°, and the head is adjustable up to 270°
- 800 Lumens maximum brightness
- 【Newest Update 7W Landscape Lights Super Brightness Compared with others】8 Pack 7W LED Light, 800 Lumens great...
- 【Low Voltage Landscape Lights】12-24V DC/AC working voltage, compatible with most low voltage landscape lighting...
- 【Upgrade IP66 Waterproof】Thick aluminum body,anti-corrosion polycarbonate material lamp cap and spike and lens...
Starting this list with a 7W low voltage LED landscape light pack from MEIKEE. This landscape pathway light comes in a pack of 8 spotlights that are well made, easy to install, and provide good value for the money. On top of that, these are IP66 rated waterproof lights. This means they can easily withstand heavy weather conditions without any problem.
There is no need to spend thousands of dollars on low voltage landscape lighting when you can do it by yourself with some research and a pack of spotlights like this one. Each of the landscape lights has a brightness output of 800 lumens, which is more than enough for your garden and patio lighting.
Since it will be on your landscape 24/7, durability matters, and to make it as durable as possible, the head of the lights is made of aluminum to prevent rusting. As for the stakes, they are made using harden polycarbonate material that is also anti-corrosion. Trust me; this stuff is super hard.
The stakes won’t corrode in the soil, and they are physically impossible to bend. Overall, it’s a product that is made for outdoors and designed to be used for a long time. These are ideal lights for pathway, backyard, swimming pool, and they can even withstand heavy snowfall.
- Very durable components
- Long power cables
- Easy to install
- Excellent customer service
- Super bright landscape lights
- Nothing to nitpick about
2. ZUCKEO 5W LED Landscape Lights 12V 24V Garden Lights
- Glass lens cover and thick aluminum frame
- IP65 rated LED landscape light
- Heat and frost resistance LED landscape pathway light
- 270-degree adjustable head and 90-degree beam angle
- UPGRADE LANDSCAPE LIGHTING LED LIGHT SOURCE&SUPER BRIGHT: 8 pieces 5W COB LED Light,500 Lumens per one,great for...
- SAFE LANDSCAPE LIGHTING LOW VOLTAGE OUTDOOR USE: 12V-24V working voltage, compatible with most low voltage...
- TRIPLE WATER RESISTANT: thick aluminum body and glass lens cover design withstand rainy and snowy weather; IP65...
These are 5W low voltage LEDs from ZUCKEO that come in a pack of 8 lights. Each of them has a maximum brightness of 500 lumens, which is bright enough to be used as LED landscape lights, path lights, and even as outdoor tree lights. The head is adjustable up to 270 degrees and has a beam angle of 90 degrees.
Since these are outdoor lights, they are designed to be very durable. The lights offer triple water-resistant features. First of all, they are housed in a thick aluminum body and covered with a glass lens. Thanks to this design, these lights can easily withstand snow and rainy weather.
On top of that, these landscape lights are also IP65 rated, which ensures longevity and improves the stability of the lights. These LED landscape lights are also designed to be heat resistant and frost resistant. As for the lights themselves, the LEDs glow bright and warm, which is good for decoration as well as security lighting at night.
Along with its wide variety of usage, they are also very safe. These are 5W LED landscape lights designed for low voltage outdoor use. The working voltage is 12 Volts -24 Volts and compatible with most extra low voltage transformer and lighting kits—solid lights, great value, and easy to install.
- Compatible with low voltage lighting kits
- Easy to install
- Durably designed for long term use
- Make sure to get the right type of connectors
3. ZUCKEO LED Landscape Lighting 6W RGB Remote Control LED
- Bright, remote control RGB lights
- Each light has a max 600 Lumens brightness
- 12 volts to 24 volts working voltage
- 16 light colors and 4 flashing modes
- 【Color-changing LED Landscape Lights with remote control, Super Bright &Upgrade DIY color selecting function】8...
- 【Memory Function, Multiple colors and flashing Modes】 When turn off the power and turn on the light again, it...
- 【Safe Low Voltage Indoor&Outdoor Use and Easy to Install】 12V 24V working voltage, compatible with most low...
If you are a fan of RGB lights, these are the lights for you. These low voltage 6W color changing LEDs can really take your LED landscape lighting into a whole new level. They come in a pack of 8, and each of them has a maximum brightness level of 600 lumens. You can also change the color of these lights via a remote.
Along with its multiple colors selecting mode, you can also choose between different flashing modes. You can control each of the lights and change the color individually. As for the colors, there are 16 options with 4 flashing modes. The working voltage is 12V-24V and compatible with most low voltage kits.
In terms of durability, the outer shell of these lights is made from thick aluminum and feature glass lens cover. This combination allows these pathway lights to withstand rainy and snowy weather, and on top of that, they are IP66 rated. Great for Christmas, Halloween, and spring landscape lighting.
Installation of this LED landscape pathway light is fairly simple. It is just like any other low voltage lights or path lights; and compatible with most low voltage transformers and lighting systems. For the price, the quality is great. You are getting tons of color options while producing and maintaining standard white LED landscape lights perfectly.
- Ability to control each lamp
- Very bright LED landscape light
- Easy to control the light output
- Colorful landscape pathway light
- Nothing to nitpick about
4. LED Landscape Lights Sunriver LED Pathway Lights
- High-quality LED chip (3000k color temperature)
- Durable lens cover
- Pressure resistant construction
- IP67 waterproof rating path lights
- Premium Grade Components: The convex lens are clear, make these buried landscape spot lights appear brighter than...
- Upgrated Voltage: 12V or 24V working voltage, compatible with most low voltage landscape lights transformer. Easier...
- Waterproof: Water tight seals, pressure rubber gasket, rubber seal around wire exit. IP67 waterproof deck lights,...
Whether it’s snow or rain, you can count on these ground lights from SUNRIVER to keep your landscape brightly lit. These path lights come in a pack of 6 and feature a warm white color tone. Each of the lights will have a 100-lumen output and beam angle of 90-degree.
You can use them to illuminate flower beds, fences, trees, flags, pathways, doorways, stonewalls, and more. These durably constructed lights are made using soda-lime tempered glass. Thanks to this high-temperature glass, these lights have great impact resistance. They are also corrosion resistant.
The convex lens on the top is clear makes the lights brighter. Even when they are buried in the landscape, the led landscape light will give off a bright, warm glow. They are easy to install and safe to work with. The working voltage is 12 volts -24 volts. As for its waterproof capabilities, these are IP67 rated LED landscape lights.
In addition to that, they also feature rubber seal around the exit, pressurized rubber gasket, and waterproof rubber ring. The LED wattage is 1W, which makes this a great energy-saving option if you are worried about electricity bills. In short, these are well-constructed pathway lights that are worth looking into.
- Very durable design
- Brighter than most ground lights
- Long lifespan outdoor lighting
- Budget LED landscape light
- The connecting wires are very thin
5. ALEDECO Outdoor LED Landscape Lights 12V 5W Low Voltage
- 500 Lumens output
- Strong, aluminum constructed body
- Waterproof path lights
- Tool-less installation
- 【Cozy lighting】Built in with a 5w 3000k warm white led bead and high-effect reflective cup, the ALEDECO...
- 【12v/24v AC/DC adaptive】It is no longer to worried about the voltage and type of current any more, with R&D by...
- 【Never out of power】This landscape light is powered by current lead to ensure that it standby in all kinds of...
Up next, we have spotlights from ALEDECO. Now, this is a brand that you can rely on for LED landscape lights. It’s an 8-piece LED light set that draws 5W power and works with most low voltage LED landscape lighting kits. All you need to do is get 12V cables and a 12V transformer to make these lights work.
Right out of the bat, keep in mind that the wiring is very short. It’s approximately 8-inches long, and the connectors for these wires are not that great. Having said that, these are easy fixes, and you can find aftermarket connection kits in your local hardware store. Also, they don’t work well with older systems.
If you want to get the most out of these pathway lighting kits, make sure you have a decent 120W system that can constantly supply power at 12V. As for the lights themselves, they are worth every penny. The body is made using thick aluminum and has a glass lens cover to protect the LED chips.
The LEDs are super bright, with 500 lumens output. The warm white light output of the lights is perfect for driveway paths, trees, flower beds, and walkways. These are IP65 waterproof lights, so you don’t have to worry about rain or snow. The head is adjustable and has a beam angle of 90-degree.
- Decent quality for the price
- Solid aluminum construction
- Bright, warm white LED landscape light
6. Sunriver 6W LED Landscape Lights 12 Volts 24 Volts Low Voltage
- 6W, high-quality COB LEDs
- Aluminum case and stand
- Long 1m wire
- 500-lumen output; 2800-3500K color temperature
- Led Spotlights Decoration : Warm white led landscape lights cast a natural looking, soft white light that will...
- Long Lasting and Durable construction: Use the finest components and materials. The housings are built from cast...
- Safety Low Voltage: 12V or 24V working voltage, compatible with most low voltage lighting transformer system. Safer...
It’s the same LED landscape light, just like the previous one. These lights have the same design and construction with one exception, and that is wattage. It’s a 6W light set, meaning you are getting 6 individual COB LEDs instead of 5. As for the constructed, the lights have a painted aluminum case.
The housing is actually made using cast aluminum, which will ensure long-lasting usage. The aluminum is painted to prevent rust. These low voltage lights are true to their claim regarding wattage and have a brightness that is pretty darn impressive. They are bright enough to up-light 25-foot tall trees with ease.
On top of the LED chip, there is a clear, flat glass that is strong, won’t crack or yellow with age, and also allows for maximum light output. Since these lights are IP65 rated, you can expect decent waterproof features like rubber seal around wire exit, pressure rubber gasket, and watertight seals.
The path lights have a beam angle of 60-degree, a tilt angle of 270-degree and a pan angle of 360-degree. When buying any LED landscape light, the four things that you need to consider are brightness, ease of installation, value for money & durability. And these lights tick all the boxes. This is the budget best low voltage landscape lighting fixtures.
- Very bright LED chips
- A strong, clear glass shield
- Highly adjustable landscape light
- Well build deck lights
- Might need to upgrade the wiring
7. Moonrays 95557 1-Watt Low Voltage LED Landscape Spot Light Fixture
- 1.2 watts LED lights
- Black, diecast aluminum body
- Adjustable head and beam angle
- Box clip wire connection
- ADJUSTABLE LED LANDSCAPE SPOTLIGHT: these landscape spotlights have adjustable heads that let you focus light...
- STYLISH OUTDOOR LANDSCAPE SPOTLIGHT: made of black, diecast aluminum, these landscaping spotlights are durable and...
- SECURITY LED SPOTLIGHT FOR LANDSCAPE: when your property is well lit, thieves and burglars are less likely to...
In the LED landscape lights category, these are probably the lowest you can find on the market. These are 1.2 watts LED lights with a light output of 65 lumens. This means you will only get 1 LED chips per fixture. You can use them in combination with other low voltage lights in your landscape.
These are more of a support light than standalone LED landscape lights. The lights have a stylish finish, and the body is made using black, diecast aluminum. The head of these spotlights is adjustable, as well as the beam angle. On the top, there is a clear glass lens for maximum light output.
Thanks to its sleek design, the lights can easily blend into any place in your landscape effortlessly. Whether you want some accent lighting to highlight a specific object or make something stand out, these bullet spotlights can be a great choice as they draw very little electricity.
As for the installation, they are very easy to do so. You can attach them to a low voltage wire via the box clip system. The method of attaching lights is much more convenient and professional compared to the traditional push-in system.
It’s also very sturdy and will hold the connection for a long time. Moonrays low voltage landscape lighting system can be a great option for your outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Easy to connect wires
- Bright for 1.2 watts light
- Sleek finish landscape light
- Budget friendly low voltage landscape lighting
- So far, there isn’t anything wrong with this product
- Not durable; should build with stainless steel
8. SUNVIE 12W Low Voltage LED Landscape Lights
- 900 lumens brightness
- IP65 waterproof design landscape lights
- The first-rate COB LED chips
- Diecast aluminum housing
- UPGRADE LIGHT SOURCE &SUPER BRIGHT(900LM) 8 pieces 12W COB LED Light 900 lumens per one great for illuminating your...
- SAFE LOW VOLTAGE OUTDOOR USE:AC/DC 12V working voltage compatible with most low voltage landscape lighting...
- TRIPLE WATER RESISTANT : thick aluminum body and glass lens cover design withstand rainy and snowy weather; IP65...
Finishing up our list with a pack of 10 low voltage spotlights from SUNVIE. As you have already noticed, yes, these are 12W lights. This means the lights are very bright and guess what? Each landscape pathway light has a brightness of 900 lumens. This is the highest brightness rating on this list.
With this much brightness, you can easily illuminate your fences, garden path, backyard, and patio with ease. The high-quality LED COB chips will last longer than normal LED chips and will also have slower decrepitation time, meaning; these lights will keep glowing at full brightness for a long time.
The lights are also made tough. These are IP65 waterproof lights with a body that is made using durable, diecast aluminum. To protect the internals, there is a waterproof rubber ring on the back, and on the top, there is a thick glass cover on each light. This improves the lifespan and stability of these landscape lights.
These are also highly adjustable. They have flexible and rotatable angle adjustment. The head is adjustable up to 270-degree, and the beam angle is adjustable up to 90-degree. This allows for a wide range of uses. For installation, the lights come fast-lock landscape lighting connectors for a secure connection.
- Reliable and high-quality connectors
- Durable landscape pathway light
- Energy saving; very bright low voltage landscape light
- Not a low voltage solar-powered product
Choosing The Best Low Voltage Landscape Lighting | A Definitive Buyer’s Guide
Solar lights or landscape lighting choices will vary from person to person. First of all, you have to consider which lights you are going to use, how energy efficient those lights are, bulb/LED quality, color tone, ease of installation, the durability of the product, and many more.
For this guide, we are only going to focus on the lights because it’s not possible to cover the entire LED landscape lighting process in one short guide. So, I’ll just stick with the need to know stuff. Without further ado, let’s jump right into it.
What’s In A Low Voltage Outdoor/ LED Landscape Lighting System?
A standard low voltage lighting system will consist of a LED bulb, a fixture or a housing, stake, cables, and a transformer. Unless the light you are getting is battery-powered or solar-powered, all landscape lights will rely on a stepped-down power from your house.
That’s why you need to low voltage transformer that will reduce normal 120V household current to 12V safe current to power source your landscape lights. The bulb will determine the brightness, color tone, how many watts your fixture will draw, and the width of the beam.
The fixture protects the bulb from elemental damage. This also helps to design the cone to shape the light beam. The stake is where you put the light fixture on the ground. The stake obviously goes into the ground first.
Finally, you have the cables. Some high-end garden lights will come will all the necessary connectors and cables and simply hook them up with your main cable that goes into the transformer.
Types Of Landscape Lights
The first step in installing low voltage landscape lights is determining what kind of lights you are going to use. The most popular choice is up and accent lighting, aka spotlights. That’s also the main reason why this list contains a lot of them.
Landscape lights are commonly used to highlight trees, walls, and other structures around your property. You can also use wash lights to light the exterior of homes, casting and featuring artwork, shadows, and shapes on beautiful architectural stonework around your property.
You can also ground lights to light up pathways, walkways, and decks. In-ground well lights are a good option in grassed areas to avoid mower damage. They also work really well with accent LED lights.
Tips: One quick way you can determine ideal light placement on your property is simply by taking a flashlight at night and start shining and highlighting different structures around the landscape.
You can also use battery-powered lights temporarily to get a glimpse of the final outcome. If you already have landscape lights, you can hook them up to a 9V battery, and you should be able to light those to see how your landscape will look at night.
Well, this is a no brainer. Outdoor landscape lights or path lights need to have good waterproof features. A good way to determine just how good a light fixture is and how long it will last is by looking at their IP rating.
Some low voltage light fixtures will have an IP65 rating, while some will have an IP66 rating. If you live in a place where bad weather conditions is really common, try to get a good quality light that can withstand heavy rain and snow.
Most of the landscape lights fixtures will either have a body made from aluminum or stainless steel. Avoid plastic at all costs. You will also see different grades of aluminum being used to make the fixture body more durable and longer lasting.
Since the LED lights will be on your landscape 24/7, it’s important that they are shock and vibration resistant as well as corrosion resistant.
Transformers are the brains of your system. This is what will power your lights. So, after you have bought your desired fixtures and know where you will place them, the next thing to get is a good landscape light transformer.
The easiest way to determine what size transformer you are going to need is by calculating the total power consumption of the LED bulbs. You will see that watt labeled on the box.
Tips: Try to size your transformer 20% larger than your total wattage. You won’t need too much headroom if you have installed better quality landscape lights as they are true to their specs. However, on cheaper LED lights, they usually tend to draw more power than what is rated on the box.
BVS-2 snap-lock connectors are by far the easiest to use, and they are also waterproof. They hold the wires tight, and they are gel-filled to keep the wires completely waterproof.
Things To Avoid When Choosing Landscape Lighting
Now that you know how to select good low voltage LED lighting, it’s time to look at the things you should avoid. The things I’m going to show below are just some of the most common mistakes most people make with landscape lights.
1. Avoid solar lights, especially the cheap one. On cheap models, the fixtures aren’t made very well, and the bulbs aren’t very strong. However, larger solar lights fixtures nowadays can do a great job, but they are too expensive. If you have good budget, you can go for low voltage solar lights.
2. Avoid low-quality halogen bulbs. If you want to get LED bulbs, go with COB LEDs. If you want to avoid dim bulbs, always buy products from reliable and reputed manufacturers.
3. Don’t place your fixtures too close or too far away from the feature that you want to highlight. A good rule of thumb is to place the landscape lights about a foot or a foot and a half away from whatever feature you are shining.
4. Avoid buying bulbs of different colors. You want to have even LED lighting, not the other way around. Try sticking with one color. For example, a 3000K color tone will look good on just about any property. This is the standard color for all landscape lights companies.
5. The final thing is buying too few landscape lights. This is something that you will see a lot of people do just to save some money. It’s either that or most of them don’t know how many LED lights they actually need.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When installing landscape lights, should I go DIY or hire a pro?
Hiring a pro to do all the work means you are guaranteed to get professional results. However, the cost of hiring a professional landscaping company means you should be prepared to spend a couple of thousands of dollars.
On the other hand, if you spend some time researching, you will find a lot of good resources available for free that will help you go full DIY with your solar lights or landscape lights.
2. Do I need to maintain the solar lights or landscape lights after installation?
The only maintenance you have to perform is to keep the landscape lights free from falling leaves and branches. Also, make sure that dust and debris don’t build up on the fixtures. Follow these two tips to prevent the LED chips from overheating.
Low voltage landscape lights are a great way to illuminate your property. It’s a great energy-efficient option that involves a bit of DIY installation.
With the best low voltage landscape lighting, you get both functionality and style as well as security for your home and your property. A well-lit home is less likely to get robbed.
- The Best Smart Recessed Lighting: Alexa & Google Assistant - April 9, 2021
- SPIDER FARMER SF-7000 Review: A Commercial LED Grow Light - April 8, 2021
- How Many Recessed Lights Do You Need? - April 6, 2021