For any mechanics, portable lighting is the key to a proper work environment. Whether you are working under the hood or under the car, you need a proper work light. Good lighting is extremely important, and for that, you need the best work light for mechanics.
From magnetic to handheld, this list will cover them all so that you can easily find the right product for your needs. No matter the project, this guide will ensure you find the best LED mechanics work light.
With that being said, let’s have a look at some of the top picks when it comes to the best automotive work light.
Note: After 22 hours researching and 32 products considering, we found the DEWALT (DCL050) 20V MAX LED Work Light is the best mechanic work light and Neiko 40447A Underhood Work Light is the best underhood work light.
Are You In A Hurry?
Winner Premium LED Mechanics Work Light
Our Test Winner Work Light
- 10 Best Mechanics Work Light Overview
- Top 3 Best Automotive Work Light Overview (more below..)
- Top 10 Best Work Light for Mechanics Reviewed
- 1. Coquimbo COB Rechargeable Work Lights
- 2. Neiko 40339A Cordless Work Light
- 3. Neiko 40447A Rechargeable Underhood Work Light
- 4. DEWALT 20V MAX LED Mechanics Work Light, (DCL043)
- 5. WARSUN Portable LED Rechargeable Work Light
- 6. OTYTY 2 COB 30W 1500LM LED Mechanics Work Light
- 7. Voltec 08-00629 1200 Lumen Work Light
- 8. Ustellar 5500LM 55W LED Work Light
- 9. Astro Pneumatic Tool 40SLMAX Pnematic
- 10. PowerSmith PWLR1110M Work Light
- Our Winner Best Underhood Work Light
- Choosing the Best Work Light for Mechanics | A Definitive Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
10 Best Mechanics Work Light Overview
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
Top 3 Best Automotive Work Light Overview (more below..)
Here is the list of 10 best work light for mechanics. Clicking below will take you to Amazon to view the latest price & user's reviews:
Our reviews and guide are a 100% reliable and valid so you know you are in good hands today.
Lets go and find the perfect LED automotive work light.
Top 10 Best Work Light for Mechanics Reviewed
To aid you in your purchase decision, we have compiled a list of the best work lights for mechanics. Let’s have a look at the detailed review of each product.
1. Coquimbo COB Rechargeable Work Lights
- 【Durable Material】 This led work light is made of hard rubber, anti-sweat and anti-slip, the head is aluminum which dissipates the heat effectively, prolong the life of the lamp. Thanks to the foldable design, the lamp is easy to carry, and save storage space
- 【5 Modes & Rechargeable】Built-in rechargeable battery, rechargeable by USB port ( included usb cable), has 5 Lighting modes: High Brightness / Medium Brightness / Front Light / Red Warning / Strobe Red, ideal for outdoor, car repair.
- 【360 ° Rotary,Magnet Base & Hook】 360 degree rotate provide multi-angle illumination, magnet base and hook make your hand free to do other things in the night. Great for car repair, home lighting, camping, hiking, power outages.
- 【Difference Between Small and Large Lights】Product size small lights is 20.3x3.4x2.5cm, large lights is 27.2x4.5x3.3cm, large lights has dust plug at the USB port, small lights don't have, large lights build-in 18650 rechargeable battery, small lights build-in 14500 (AA size) rechargeable battery
- 【What You Get】 Package included 2 Rechargeable Work Light and 2 Micro USB cable. It is a practical tool can use on daily time and outdoor active, It also can be used as a gift for friend or family member.
Are you looking for an auto mechanic work light that can be used for any purpose, including going for a walk or illuminating your room? If you are confused about choosing a perfect one, then be ready to get to know about this LED Work Light, Coquimbo COB Work Light, which does not lack any essential features.
One of the most severe issues that people face is the slipping of the device from their hands while working. In prevention, the handle is made of hard rubber, which also provides you a comfortable grip. You will not face problems in handling it.
Moreover, if you do, you can hang it somewhere with its hook, reducing the trouble. It is hard to place any tool on a rough surface if it has a thin base. Its base includes a magnet to save your time from picking it up all the time.
There are five kinds of brightness modes—high, low, dome, red LED, and red-light flashing modes—that allows you to have a versatile working mode. You can choose anyone according to the working objective.
The head of aluminum is excellent at dissipating heat that keeps its temperature lower and protects your hands from sudden attacks. Furthermore, you can rotate its till 360 degrees for your benefit.
To look deeply into any area, you have to change its direction. If you have to keep it on the ground and work upwards, then you can uplift it to brighten the upper side. This product comes with a good quality USB cable.
- Its rubberized handle prevents it from falling
- You can choose any light mood from five different ones
- With its hook, it can be hung anywhere
- Its rotatory feature makes your work easier
- The buttons are hard to distinguish in the dark
2. Neiko 40339A Cordless Work Light
- COB (chip on board) technology increases lumen-output per square inch, providing bright flood illumination with greater energy efficiency than standard SMD LEDs
- Accessories include detachable magnetic base and 2 rotating, all-angle swivel hanging hooks to mount and attach anywhere; perfect for home, garage, mechanic auto shop, camping, earthquake and emergency trouble car repair use
- Handheld, portable stick design with impact resistant aluminum housing and industrial grade polycarbonate lens to provide durable protection for lighting unit
- Rechargeable 3.7V 4,400 mAh Li-ion battery with overcharge protection that features a handy low battery indicator to avoid work interruption
- Features three modes of brightness to suit your needs: 700 Lumens High Mode- 4.2 hours run time, 400 Lumens Medium Mode- 6.5 hours, 250 Lumens Low Mode- 11.5 hours
A convenient device requires a lot of features not only to emit brighter light but also to be handled effortlessly. There is no need to look for any other product when you have Neiko 40339A Cordless Work Light.
Due to the introduction of COB technology, this tool has become more advanced than others. It contains more diodes compared to regular LEDs resulting in intensified light.
High-uniformity and efficiency are highly maintained by it without wasting any energy. At three modes of light, you will receive 700, 400, and 250 lumens of light. You will enjoy a clear vision, just like daylight.
Your device will function for almost 4.5 hours at high mode and 11.5 hours at low mode. The product’s running ability will let you fix any mechanical disorder within the required time. The aluminum housing makes it sturdy and rust-resistant. It will not be damaged due to the harsh environment, ensuring durability.
Due to the impact-resistant polycarbonate lens, you can work for hours without harming your eyes. Its lightweight allows easy transportation. Additionally, the low battery indicator will warn you to fasten your work. You can divide your time as you have to charge it after a specific time.
You might have to hold the gadget if there is no chance to mount it. Therefore, for a comfortable grip, the handle is rubberized. It has two hooks that can be rotated 360° to focus the light in whatever direction you want. With the detachable magnetic base, it can be attached to magnetic surfaces.
- The new technology increases the density of light
- You can adjust the light mode according to the need
- It is corrosion-resistant due to the aluminum housing
- You can rotate the hooks for convenience
- It takes a long period to be charged
3. Neiko 40447A Rechargeable Underhood Work Light
- Superior 1, 200 Lumens maximum brightness under hood work light is powered by 202 bulbs of our next generation SMD LED illuminates the entire engine compartment
- 8,000 mAh large capacity rechargeable li-ion battery provides 3 hours of run time on high mode and 6 hours on low mode, with the added protection of a UL/CUL certified charger
- Impact resistant Polycarbonate light housing & lens insure maximum durability and weather resistant design stands up to extended daily use
- All Steel light Holding tube telescopes from 47" to 76" to fit any hood size; foam cushioned protective end hooks will not scratch or damage vehicle finish
- Two detachable magnetic hooks provide the flexibility of having illumination in cramped, awkward workspaces
You might be looking for the best underhood work light that will function for a long period, in both high and low modes. Having this property, along with other amenities, makes Neiko 40447A Rechargeable Underhood Work Light an exceptional.
While working, the situation becomes worst when the product loses all its charge. A required functioning time is about 4 to 5 hours, which lets you finish work. This product will give you this opportunity. At high mode, being tensed-free, you can continue for 3 hours, and at low mode, the time is extended to 6 hours.
If you are concerned about your eyes, then this tool having a polycarbonate lens should be the priority. Its thinner surface makes it durable and ensures the safety of your eyes. No matter wherever you are, as a response to necessity, you can use it in any harsh environment. It will not lose its texture as it is corrosion-resistant.
It contains 202 bulbs that result in a brighter light enlightening every single corner of your working area. Darkness will not be a hindrance anymore. You will be amazed by the super comfortable ergonomic handle. Therefore, it will not let your hands slip. Moreover, your palms will not hurt for holding it for a longer period.
With its magnet mounts, you can stick it to places; with protective hooks, you can hang it anywhere as having it on the one hand and engaged with the other kills time. Furthermore, the length can be extended to 76”.
- It remains charged for an extended time
- Due to its 202 bulbs, you can enjoy high brightness
- The polycarbonate lens makes it impact-resistant
- It can be fixed in any place
- The hooks are not much reliable
4. DEWALT 20V MAX LED Mechanics Work Light, (DCL043)
- 3 Bright Leds To Illuminate Jobsites
- 1 Bright Red Led To Preserve Night Vision
- 2 Brightness Settings
- Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18
- 3 Bright LED's that illuminate dark jobsite work areas
- 90 degree pivoting head that provides versatility for lighting work surfaces and allows for hands-free operation
- Includes a belt hook
- Over-molded lens cover provides increased durability
Isn’t it hard to work at night holding a cell phone and use its flashlight? It not only emits dim light but also kills charge of your device. With the help of DEWALT 20V MAX Work Light (DCL043), you can work at any time at any place, enjoying the intensified light.
It is challenging to work in a faint light if you have to fix something or look down into something deeper and darker. This device has three LEDs, of 1000 lumens to enlighten your working site. If the light is not bright enough, you have to use more than one lamp. Therefore, to have a distinct vision, this feature is mandatory.
You can change the intensity of the light according to your area. The setting can be altered to either the brightest level or to the dim one if your eyes cannot handle it. It also includes a red LED as the white light might affect your vision.
Moreover, you can view the place until 1525 feet, which indicates that you can see areas till a great distance. Placing it on a stable surface, you can inspect further sites.
The head of the apparatus can be directed to 90°. You can change the direction according to the place you are in, resulting in versatility. If you are somewhere up, you can keep the lamp down and direct the head upwards.
Furthermore, its handle has a smooth and non-slippery surface for a comfortable grip preventing it from falling.
Its weight of only 1 pound ensures that you can carry it effortlessly. Your light will be your everyday companion. A belt hook is also added as you might want to keep it to yourself or do not have anyone to carry it for you.
- One thousand lumens of light brighten a vast area
- The red LED is suitable for your eyes
- You can straighten the head to 90°
- It emits light to a great distance
- The number of LEDs could be extended
5. WARSUN Portable LED Rechargeable Work Light
- Super Bright COB Light:30W max, 1200 LM COB LED Light built-in two rechargeable 1800 mAh battery and with USB port to charge the mobile or other devices. Made of sturdy and durable aluminum alloy material, no functional problems under 4. 9ft drop test.
- 3 Modes Function: Three different modes help you in many situation, High brightness, Medium Brightness, Low Brightness.Press the switch on button to turn on the light, and the press the button to switch among 3 modes.
- Hook And Magnet: Built-in super-strong magnet can be attached to metal surfaces such as car bodies to provide temporary lighting. The hook design allows the lamp to be hung on objects such as tents.
- Portability Make Wild Applications: Cordless and rechargeable make our lamp great for home, outdoor, Car repair, Camping, Hunting, Fishing, working on electronics, emergency roadside repairs, or multipurpose work etc.
- WARSUN LABEL ADDED and : 100% Product Satisfaction, 30 Days No Hassle Money Back and 1 Year .
An essential feature is the ability to keep the lamp fixed in its position and be able to stick it somewhere. If you want to enjoy this advantageous feature, then grab the WARSUN Portable LED Rechargeable Work Light for productive work.
The device can be placed in its flat position due to its bracket design. If you are fixing something in an upper area, then you can stand it on the ground, just like a study table. You do not have to worry about having someone to hold it for you.
Moreover, sometimes, you have to fix it upwards to illuminate your functioning site from the top. Its strong magnet adsorption allows that to happen to emit temporary light.
With its hook and button nail, you can hang it anywhere you want and continue the work. It weighs only 9.6 ounces, which ensures that you can pack it in your bag and carry it to any place.
Producing a maximum light of 30 W due to 1200 lumens is an outstanding trait. The bright light illuminates both the site and the surrounding areas. Due to a clear vision, you can do the task fruitfully.
Additionally, you can change the intensity from higher to medium and lower level as all your work does not require the same degree. You can be assured of its durability as it is made of aluminum alloy, which is robust and corrosion-resistant.
To indicate charging mode, it shows either red or green light. As it is weatherproof, you can even use it in any harsh environment.
- You can change the lighting modes according to the need
- Due to button nail, hook, and bracket design, stability is highly ensured
- It can be transported easily
- The aluminum alloy assures its durability
- Not a good looking work light
6. OTYTY 2 COB 30W 1500LM LED Mechanics Work Light
- ★Super Bright & Power Saving: 30W handheld portable lighting, 1500 Lumen, replace 200W traditional halogen bulb by 30W COB LED and save 80% on electricity bill of lighting
- ★3 Modes & Waterproof: Press the switch on button turn on the rechargeable cob work light: High, Low, Strobe Brightness Mode. IP65 Waterproof rating, ensure the led work light rechargeable works fine in rainy days
- ★LED Work Lights Portable & Flexibility: Because the led work light adjustable is cordless. with a 180 degree adjustable lamp stand. So you can put it in anywhere just you like. led work light hanging on truck or hand held. Even on the ground, in the basement, garage or garden at night
- ★LED Work Light Rechargeable & Battery Powered: Powered by 2 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable batteries(included) or 4 AA batteries(not included), equipped a USB cable allows for quick and convenient charging. Also Serve as a convenient power bank for charging your phone and other devices in emergency
- ★Widely Used: Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Barbecue, Car Repairing, Truck, Shop, Exploring and more Outdoor Activities. Includes 4 rechargeable lithium batteries.
You do not have to worry anymore; a company has launched a product that will make your decision of choosing the best one easy and flawless. OTYTY 2 COB 30W 1500LM LED Light is an improved version to make your night-time work simpler.
The traditional halogen bulb of 200 lumens wastes a lot of energy, emitting a limited amount of light. It has been replaced by a COB LED of 1500 lumens to produce the brightest radiance. Due to this technology, you can work under the glow of high density as it includes more diodes than the ordinary ones.
At any time, you might require using your gadget in a harsh environment where there is a high chance of its damage. As the mentioned one is waterproof, it does not need any shelter over it and can be placed anywhere. Even if it falls into water, you can surely use it for quite a long period.
Not all situations demand the same intensity of light. If your tool only has the high mode, you might not feel comfortable to use it in places where darkness is not much dominating. Three levels of lighting are added to solve this issue. You can turn on the switch and direct the degree according to your needs.
The stand can be rotated 180° to place it on any surface. Furthermore, the handle has made it easier for you to carry. As it is small and lightweight, you can pack it and take wherever you want.
- You can have the brightest illumination
- As it is weatherproof, it can sustain any environment
- The handle’s rotation ensures that it can be placed anywhere
- You can even change the light mood
- It is not magnetic
7. Voltec 08-00629 1200 Lumen Work Light
- Heavy Duty construction
- Suitable for homeowners all the way up to professional contractors
- Commercial grade performance and durability
- Non-shock Bumper on top of the light for protection
Many companies design expensive products to be misinterpreted as qualified ones. To be able to discriminate between the poor and improved ones, specific desired features are added to affordable tools. Voltec 08-00629 1200 Lumen Work Light is one on the list.
A fantastic trait that it has is the non-shock bumper. Its introduction is a great advantage to those who work day and night. You won’t get any electric shock at any time as it is rechargeable. Whatever your job is, your safety should be the first concern. Therefore, its place on top of the light keeps you protected.
Its 10 W LED of 1200 lumens ensures the brightest radiance. As each corner of the worksite gets illuminated, you can have a clear view. You can use it inside your camping tents as a bulb. Moreover, its brightness will show you the path amidst the darkness.
Some fixed hooks make it challenging to adjust the position of the gadget. Thus, the upgraded version has a hook that can be rotated 360°. You can hang it and guide the light in whatever direction you want. Moreover, it has a magnet on its back if you want to fix it to any magnetic surface.
Your hands will not get slipped as the handle is made of non-slip material. It will not let your hands be sweaty quickly. Having a power-on indicator is also a beneficial addition. This feature will make your work effortless.
- You can rotate the hook in any direction
- The non-shock bumper is for your safety
- With its magnet on the back, you can even stick it to surfaces
- The handle is non-slippery
- You will be disappointed by the length of the cord
8. Ustellar 5500LM 55W LED Work Light
It is frustrating and tiresome to work at night under dim light, which makes you feel drowsy. If you want to feel enlightened with the brightness of the light, then go for Usteller 5500LM 55W LED Light, which also has other desired properties.
Different functioning sites require a different intensity of light. Maximum situations demand the brightest light, for which this product is invented with 5500 lumens of light. It brightens up areas to a high level giving a clear view of more than the required field.
If you want, you can alter the degree of illumination from 55 W to 28 W with the help of a switch. Moreover, this setting not only keeps your eyes safe. As you are using LED instead of a halogen bulb, you are saving 85% of energy.
However, after laboring for a longer time, the device radiates heat, and you unconsciously hurt your hands. Therefore, it has an advanced heat-sink to protect your hands.
You can rotate the bulb 360° and uplift it 90° to let you view from any angle. While engaged into work, you cannot change the gadget’s position every time; so, you need to change the direction of the emission. It is waterproof, as contact with water might result in electric shock or quick damage.
It is very to install and portable. As it is lightweight, in an emergency, you can carry it to any place whenever required. You can place it further from the plug as the cord length is very suitable.
- It emits the brightest light for a clear view.
- The heat-sink keeps the device cool.
- You can direct the position of the bulb according to requirements.
- Its long cord ensures its transportability to further places
- The knobs need constant fixation
9. Astro Pneumatic Tool 40SLMAX Pnematic
- New “max” 40SLMAX features massive 3,350mAh lithium battery
- 13hr work time at 50% power, or 3.5Hrs at full power
- Adjust dial power switch from 0-450 lumens
- New collapsible hook design
- Ultra strong 20Lb Magnetic swivel and stay base
Many lights stop functioning in between the task, and you have to discontinue working. If you have ever gone through this phase, then you must know how disappointing this is. Astro Pneumatic Tool 40SLMAX will never let you face such a situation.
Nowadays, powerful batteries are invented as the brightness of light decreases as the charge deteriorates. The 3350 mAH lithium battery allows the product to emit maximum ray for 3.5 hours. If the power drops to 50 %, then it works for 13.5 hours. Within this period, you can finish your work and come back home.
It has a dial switch to alter the level of light from the lowest to 450 lumens. Not all the places need the brightest radiance; therefore, you can adjust the intensity according to the need. Moreover, you can use it in any situation. The emission of less amount of light will also save the charge of your device.
You will love the hook design. Its significance cannot be ignored as you cannot always hold it yourself or let others carry it for you. You can hang it and continue your work if there is any suitable place. If it can be attached somewhere up, then you can have a better view.
Additionally, it has a magnetic base to be quickly settled on a surface. If you cannot mount it, you can stick it somewhere. As it can be slanted till 45°, you can adjust the direction of light. Therefore, it has more flexibility and allows for more alterations.
- At full charge, it can work for 3.5 hours
- You can tilt the light to get the best view
- The dial power can alter the level of illumination
- It can be hung anywhere
- The gadget is fragile
10. PowerSmith PWLR1110M Work Light
- Sealed die-cast Aluminum housing
- 4 high-power Neodymium magnets on base for mounting versatility
- Long-lasting super-bright LEDs never need replacing
- Adjustable tilt: up to 30° down and 90° up
- Reversible metal base: choose rubberized feet or magnetic
- Separate mode selection switch: high, medium, low, and flashing
- Cushioned metal carrying handle and sealed on/off switch allows for indoor/outdoor applications
- Impact-resistant glass lens
- High-quality 7. 4V lithium-ion battery runs for 3‐1/2 hours on high setting and holds its charge up to 18 months in storage
- Backed by the PowerSmith 2 Year Manufacturer with US-Based Customer Support
If you have to work outside at night or day to inspect deeper problems, you should choose the appropriate one. PowerSmith PWLR1110M Work Light has all the amenities to be accepted wholeheartedly.
Working at night is harmful to the eyes. It’s hard to get light like daylight. However, this device radiates 5000k bright white illumination to let you feel like you are working in the daytime. This level of brightness lessens the chance of eye illness. It is of great help, even at midnight.
Furthermore, it includes a lithium battery of 7.4 V. You can use it continuously for almost 3.5 hours due to its strength. When it is fully charged, you can quickly finish your work without any interruption of charging it. Sometimes, it’s of no use. So, you can store it for 18 months without reducing its charge.
If you are sleeping outside and need to have dim light, the maximum radiance is not required. According to the necessity, you can set the level to four different modes: high, medium, low, and flashing. The on/off switch and mode selection switch are separated.
Furthermore, the device can be tilted up and down from 30° to 90° upwards. You can keep it stable on the ground due to its four Neodymium magnets. It has such strength that it can be attached to any metallic surfaces.
- The battery lets it function for a long period.
- Due to its bright white light, your eyes will not be hurt.
- It has different modes for alternative situations.
- The robustness of the magnets makes it quickly fixed to specific surfaces
- The gadget is fragile
Our Winner Best Underhood Work Light
Choosing the Best Work Light for Mechanics | A Definitive Buyer’s Guide
You need light to see when you are working on cars; there is no arguing that. However, there are a lot of factors that make a good mechanic work light. Gone are the days where you had to use drop light that needed to be plugged into a 120V power outlet.
They worked fine, but they had some drawbacks. First of all, you have to be near a power outlet; if it’s raining or wet or damp, you can get quite a shock if they short out.
And they are also big and don’t fit in a small place. People like going portable, like to utilize modern technology like magnets, LEDs, adjustable heads, and all that. Modern lights are rechargeable, super-bright, and last a long period.
Even if you have a well-lit garage, there are some places where you need extra lights. For example, if you are working under the hood, you need a specialized set of lights that you can use anywhere.
Due to their performance and reliability, they will help you improve your efficiency when you are working around the clock.
Before I get to all the technical details and features that you need to look for when buying a automotive work light for mechanics, let’s have a look at why you should buy one in the first place.
Benefits of Using Work Lights
Work lights have a lot of benefits over traditional lights. Since they are specially designed for mechanics, you can be sure that they have got more to offer than just bright lights like LED flood lights. Let’s have a look at some of them.
The first and foremost benefit to using an under the hood work light is portability. Some have hooks on them, which means you can stick them anywhere. You can adjust the light angle, maneuver them easily, and fix them onto surfaces where you need to work.
There is no need to hold a light on one hand and work with the other. This isn’t efficient. You need to keep both your hands-free to do literally any task in your garage. Especially when you are laboring underneath the car, it’s inconvenient to use only one hand.
Since most of these work lights have magnets on the base that allows you to attach these lights to any metallic surface. Some even allow you to change the focal length.
Despite being small, these lights are bright. You can even change the brightness up and down to meet your needs. They have an impressive amount of light that can be used to illuminate poorly lit areas easily.
Now that you know about the benefits, let’s have a look at some of the key factors when choosing the best LED work lights for garage.
Corded vs. Cordless
Depending on their power type, you can either buy a cordless light or a corded light. For your convenience, it’s always better to go with cordless lights as they will be more portable.
While both of their own perks and drawbacks, let’s have a look at what each of them has to offer. This way, you will have a better understanding as to which lights will be the best for you.
Corded lights are powerful, and they last longer and usually cheaper. You will always have power but with the hassle of a power cord hanging around. You should also consider the cord length because if the cord is not long enough, you need to buy extension cables.
In addition, it’s not possible to always work near a power outlet. This also poses a risk because you don’t want to cause a trip hazard in your garage by hanging cords all over the place.
For any mechanic, cordless is the way to go. When it comes to their lifespan, they can easily rival their corded counterpart. And because of the vast improvement in battery technology and led lights, they are now brighter and much more powerful.
To preserve battery, most of these lights offer various power-saving settings. You can adjust the brightness, change the light angle, and some even allow to change the focal length of the light.
Some come with magnets or hooks that you can use to stick it to any metal surface for hands-free operation. They are also more popular than corded lights because you can use them anywhere, take them anywhere and work anywhere you want.
There are also other benefits of going cordless like you don’t have to mess around with any cords, they are rechargeable, they are easier to mount, portability and small.
Since these are rechargeable units, you should keep in mind the charging time. Check the reviews to find out how long the light takes to charge fully and how long it can run on a fully charged battery. A good quality work light will have a quick charge feature and more runtime.
Dual Source Vs. Single Source
There are some models that have two power sources. It basically means that these lights can be powered by either battery or via a power outlet. They are good for engine mechanics, but for the price, I don’t think they are worth it.
A single power source is good enough for most of your automotive projects. They are also sturdier and great doing other stuff like household projects, outdoor work, etc.
You need to look at the lumen measurement to compare the brightness of the lights. Lumen rating indicates how bright the LED light will shine. The higher the value, the brighter it will be.
Bright light doesn’t guarantee good quality. You should also check if the light you are buying has a brightness adjustment setting. Some work requires more light over a large area, while others require less light in a concentrated area. Some light allows you to change the color output and focal length adjustment.
A good garage work light should provide different brightness adjustment settings like low, mid, and high. Some even feature flashing and strobe settings in case of emergencies.
Types of Work Lights
Depending on the light design, there are two different work lights. They are base mounted and handheld. Let’s get to know each of them.
As the name suggests, these lights have a base or stand that is either plastic or magnetic. These are great for illuminating large spaces and allow for hands-free operation. They are also great for outdoor work and for those hard to reach spaces.
For small workshops or short repair jobs, these handheld models will be able to provide adequate lighting easily. They have an ergonomic handle and a lightweight design that makes them easy to carry around or even hang them on the wall.
Some of them have magnets as a base, which you can use to hand them under the hood. Most of them will also come with hooks. Since they are handheld units, they are generally cordless and rely on a battery for power. Some of them will feature a 360-degree swivel hook for convenience.
Typically, these lights are narrower because they are designed for mechanics. The purpose of this narrow design is to illuminate only the areas that need illuminating. They are also great at lighting harder to reach areas like between body panels and engine bays.
Check the handle design. Since you will be laboring in a greasy environment, it’s important that the handle should provide adequate grip. The handle should contain some sort of rubber, or there will be no friction.
Some lights feature a non-slip handle for increased grip. Those highly recommended if you plan on choosing handheld lights.
If you want to free up your hands, buy lights that feature either hooks or magnets on the base so that you can use both your hands.
These lights need to be strong. Make sure to choose a product with a solid build quality that can easily take a beating. Come to think of it, since you are going to be using these lights in your garage; they are bound to take some hard hits from time to time. This is the case with any garage tools.
The lights should be heavy-duty to withstand chemical damage, impact, and moisture on a day to day basis. Some of the necessary features regarding durable constructions are:
- Impact-resistant body
- Hard rubber material
- Aluminum housing
Some manufacturers offer longer warranty periods. If something breaks, you can return it and get it fixed. That’s why you should spend extra to get a good quality product from a reputable brand. They are ones that usually provide long warranty and good customer support.
Best LED Work Light Brands
Here are some of the top brands out there that are highly popular among mechanics.
When it comes to garage tools or any power tools, Dewalt is the king. They have a wide range of products, and most of them are made for heavy-duty work. All the professionals in the automotive industry rely on their tools.
This German-based brand has a good reputation in the power tools world. They have a wide range of products, and the brand also specializes in industrial technology, software and hardware technology, as well as energy and building technology.
Some of their headliner consumer goods are drills, saws, humidifiers, and LED lights. They know how to make good quality products.
Unlike the previous two, this brand only focuses on making quality home lighting. They have been manufacturing some premium led lighting devices that feature smart lighting technology with a mix of functional features and style.
Neiko Tools are usually manufactured in China & Taiwan. They are distributed worldwide. The only tools that are made solely for the USA will have “Neiko Tools USA” marked on them. They are not that big of a brand, but if you want inexpensive stuff, they are the brand to trust.
Astro was founded by James Bassant and John Fearon in 1997. This brand has a passion for making quality lighting products, and it is easy to see how far they have achieved with their product lineup.
This British brand has the largest range of lighting products for interior and exterior design, bathroom lights, path lights, hallway lights, and even architectural lights.
There are other popular brands like WARSUN, OTYTY, Voltec, PowerSmith, and many more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What are work lights?
Answer: Work lights are different than your ordinary lights because they have a high-intensity light fixture, unique design, and lots of adjustability options.
Question: Are mechanical work lights waterproof?
Answer: It depends on the product itself. Check to see if the light is waterproof and has an IP67 rating.
Question: Do I need 360-degree coverage?
Answer: If you want to illuminate your work area like a lamp with the shade removed, buy a light that provides 360-degree coverage.
Question: Are portable Halogen work lights safe to use more than 4-5 hours?
Answer: Yes; it is safe, you can use as long as you can. But keep it safely distanced from any flammable materials.
You have seen our top picks, you have read the buying guide, you have now come to our conclusion part. I’ve already detailed all the necessary information you need to buy the best work light for mechanics.
However, keep in mind that there are different work lights that have different sizes, shapes, and applications. Make sure you know what you need before you pick the perfect LED work light for your garage or automotive work.
- What is a Flood Light and How it Works? - August 13, 2020
- Spider Farmer SF 4000 Review (2020) – Does It Worth? - July 29, 2020
- Phlizon 3000W COB Review (2020) – A Powerful Grow Light - July 25, 2020